New Course: Evangelizing Catechesis
Evangelizing Catechesis: A study of the new Vatican Directory for Catechesis
Learn how to incorporate evangelization into teaching the faith. A course for anyone who teaches the faith — Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education, catechists, schoolteachers, adult faith formators, RCIA teams, parents, youth ministers, etc. Starts April 19th.
This course guides students through the new Directory for Catechesis, published by the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization in 2020. Whereas the Catechism of the Catholic Church provides the content for Catechesis, this document is a guide on “how” to catechize. This new edition of the directory emphasizes that evangelization is not only the first step in catechesis but rather the proclamation of the gospel should permeate the entire process of teaching the faith.
Each week, students will read a portion of the directory and watch a short video presentation that highlights some key ideas from that section. Students will have an opportunity to learn from each other through an online discussion board. This is a key part of the course. There is a great amount of wisdom among those who are engaged in the work of catechesis but few opportunities to tap into that wisdom through sharing insights. In this course, participants will not only learn from the online presenters, they will learn from each other.
Presentations are prerecorded and students can post to the ongoing discussion at anytime. Students can log on each week at the times most convenient to them. There are no graded asssignments and students can do as much or as little of the course activities as they have time for.
This course does not count for certification but is offered for continuing professional development and formation. Those who complete all course requirements will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
- , Executive Director of the Institute for Catholic Studies and Formation
- Anne Chrzan, Diocesan Director of Religious Education, Diocese of Venice Florida
- Joshua Mazrin, Director of Evangelization, Diocese of Venice Florida
- Welcome Module: Introduction and Orientation (available upon registration)
- Week 1 – Catechesis at the Service of the New Evangelization – April 19-25
- Week 2- Kerygmatic (gospel-centered) Catechesis – April 26-May 2
- Week 3 – Catechetical Process and Methodology – May 3- 9
- Week 4 – Persons and Communities in Catechesis – May 10-16
- Week 5 – Catechesis and Cultural Context – May 17- 23
- Week 6 – Conclusion and Implementation – May 24-30
- Pontifical Council for Promotion of the New Evangelization, Directory for Catechesis. 2020. [Please note the current edition of the directory is NOT available online and must be purchased]
There is a $25 course fee. Pay online when you register.